Who doesn’t love a good meatball? I know I do. (Get your mind out of the gutter!)
These meatballs are moist and oh so tasty with a satisfying crunch. Everything you’d ever want in a meatball! Even better, it’s full of hidden healthy goodness!
I love finding ways to make the things we eat a bit healthier.
In this recipe, I use quinoa to bulk-up the meatballs and keep them moist, the way bread crumbs would. This is a great gluten-free, heart-healthy alternative and a really good source of added protein.
It’s also very filling so you’ll need less to satisfy you. AND the quinoa helps bind the meat, so no eggs are required in this recipe.
When using lean meats in recipes, the end result often tends to be little drier. To counter this, while still cutting back on less healthy sources of fat (like from animal sources), I add healthier full-fat coconut milk as a substitute to keep the mixture nice and moist. It does wonders and you’d never know it was in there.
I usually make these meatballs for my Ultimate Spaghetti & Meatballs recipe. They can also make a great party food if served with a marinara or sweet and sour sauce. You can serve them as a meal too, in a 3 pepper sauce with rice or quinoa for example.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
P.S. If you make this, I’d love to hear from ya! Please leave a comment, rate it & share it. I’d love to see a pic of your masterpiece too. Just tag @natinclined and use the hashtag #naturallyinclined to share it with us on Instagram.
Healthier Meaty Meatballs (Gluten, Dairy and Egg-free)No Reviews
Meaty Meatballs a little healthier than the average bear. Great to have as an appetizer in a sweet and sour sauce or with spaghetti. These little guys are sure to please.
- Prep Time: 15m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 45m
- 1 lb Lean ground meat (beef or a combination of beef and pork)
- 1/3 c Quinoa flakes
- 1/4 c Full fat can coconut milk (shake the can before opening)
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Dried basil
- 3/4 tsp. Sea salt
- 1/4 Cracked pepper
- Frying oil (coconut, avocado or grapeseed)
- Place quinoa flakes and coconut milk in a bowl. Let the quinoa flakes absorb the milk.
- Add meat and the remaining ingredients.
- With fingers, gently mix ingredients until you get an even mixture.
- Scoop out 2 tbsp of mixture and gently form into a ball. Continue until all mixture is formed into balls.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat, add oil to coat the pan and then add the meatballs.
- Brown on all sides for a total of about 4-5 minutes.
- Finish cooking meatballs by placing in oven on a baking tray at 350 degrees for 20 minutes OR if using in my Ultimate Spaghetti and Meatballs recipe or another sauce, drop them in the sauce and let them finish cooking in the sauce for approximately 20 minutes.